Dr Berge is a Pain Medicine Physician and Anaesthetist at The Wesley Hospital, St Andrew’s Hospital, St Vincent’s Northside Private Hospital, St Vincent’s Private Hospital Toowoomba, Chermside Day Hospital.
Dr Berge has provided medical reports for legal proceedings, medical negligence claims, Workers’ Compensation (Qld) and Health Practitioner Registration Boards.
Dr Berge is a qualified Independent Medical Examiner (ABIME) and has trained in the AMA, 5th Edition of the AMA Guides to the Evaluation of Permanent Impairment and GEPI Qld.
Qualifications and Fellowships
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery 1993
- Fellow of the Royal College of Anaesthetists 2000
- Fellow of the Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists 2005
- Fellow of the Faculty of Pain Medicine Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists 2013
- Certified Independent Medical Examiner, American Board of Independent Examiners
- Director, Interventus Pain Specialists
- Specialist Anaesthetist and Pain Medicine Physician:
- The Wesley Hospital, St Andrew’s Hospital, St Vincent’s Northside Private Hospital), St Vincent’s Private Hospital Toowoomba and Chermside Day Hospital.
- Independent Medical Examiner – WorkCover Queensland, ABIME.
- Staff Specialist Anaesthetist/Pain Management – John Hunter Hospital, Newcastle, NSW
- Provisional Fellow in Anaesthesia and Pain Management – John Hunter Hospital
- Locum Consultant Anaesthetist – Royal Sussex County Hospital, Brighton, United Kingdom.
Areas of Clinical Expertise
- Chronic non-malignant pain conditions, e.g. Complex Regional Pain Syndrome (CRPS), painful neuropathies, neuropathic pain and nerve entrapment syndromes using a combination of drug and interventional treatments.
- Spinal pain that is not amenable to surgery, such as failed back surgery syndrome, arachnoiditis, degenerative spinal disease using a number of treatment modalities including drug treatments, injection techniques, radiofrequency nerve ablation and “advanced” pain therapies, such as spinal cord stimulation.
- Pain syndromes in which an individual’s pain is disproportionate to any physical condition by determining the presence of both physical (organic) and psychological (non-organic) components of pain.
- Opioid Prescribing and Stewardship
- Adult anaesthesia for all surgical specialties including, day case anaesthesia, spinal and epidural anaesthesia, regional anaesthesia, nerve blocks, post-operative pain management.