Dr Scarlett is a General Surgeon in private practice in Brisbane, Queensland. Dr Scarlett has worked extensively in Australia and overseas, in both the public and private health systems. Dr. Scarlett was a senior Consultant General Surgeon for Queensland Health for 17 years until restricting his practice to private surgery and medicolegal assessments. Dr Scarlett is presently a member of the Medical Assessment Panel for the Queensland Department of Industrial Relations. He has provided surgical advice for the Department with regard to applications for surgical procedures related to workers’ compensation claims. Dr Scarlett has provided medicolegal assessments for compensation litigation claims and claims involving medical negligence and damages.
Qualifications and Fellowships
- Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery, University of Sydney 1980
- Fellow of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons Glasgow 1986
- Fellow of the Royal Australasian College of Surgeons 1992
- Fellow of the Australian Institute of Company Directors, University of New England 1992
- Diploma of Technical Analysis Securities Institute of Australia 2002
- Certified Independent Medical Examiner of the American Board of Independent Medical Examiners 2015
- Certified Independent Medical Examiner for Worksafe Victoria and the Victorian Transport Accident Commission 2015
- Certified Permanent Impairment Examiner for spinal, upper and lower limb, digestive and urologic impairments for the Queensland Department of Industrial Relations 2015
- Member of the Medical Assessment Tribunal for the Queensland Department of Industrial Relations 2016.
- Private Surgical Practice in General and Cosmetic Surgery, Strathpine, Queensland
- Visiting General Surgeon at St. Vincent’s Private Hospital, Chermside, Brisbane; Northwest Private Hospital Brisbane, Everton Park, Brisbane; Caboolture Private Hospital, Caboolture; and Peninsula Private Hospital, Kippa-Ring, Brisbane.
Independent Expert Medicolegal Experience
- General Surgical experience in the public and private systems over 39 years
- Independent Medical Examinations and Impairment Determinations over 26 years
- Clinical Expertise in Abdominal surgery, abdominal wall surgery and Cosmetic surgery.